Rights and Treatment of Recognized Refugees

1. F-2 Resident Visa and Permission for Employment 

 As a recognized refugee, you will be given an F-2 Resident visa, which grants a stable status of stay in the Republic of Korea. You may also freely work in a place where the employment of recognized refugees is not prohibited. 

2. Issuance of Refugee Travel Document and Exemptions of Re-Entry Permit 

 You may receive a Refugee Travel Document to travel outside Korea. The document enables multiple (or unlimited) entries to Korea without obtaining any additional permit within its validity period.

3. Permission for Family Reunification for the Spouse and Minor Children 

 Your spouse and underage children may enter and stay in Korea after obtaining a C-3 Short-term General visa at a Korean diplomatic mission overseas. In accordance with the Principle of Family Unity, your spouse and minor children may be recognized as refugees as well. 

4. Guarantee of Social security at the same level as for Korean citizens in accordance with the FrameWork Act on Social Security 

5. Allowances pursuant to the National Basic Living Security Act (If, eligible) 

※ If you do not have a person who has a legal duty to support you, or even if you do have one, he/she does not have the ability to support you or he/she does not provide you with support while you earn less than the guaranteed minimum income, you may apply for financial support for livelihood, residence, medical care, education, and others at the community service office of the Eup/Myeon/Dong in the area of your residence. 

6. Health Insurance Benefits Pursuant to the National Health Insurance Act 

※ You can receive health insurance benefits as a district subscriber in Korea. Please find more information at the National Health Insurance Cooperation Website (www. nhis.or.kr). 

7. Medical Care Services in accordance with the “Medical Care Service Support Project for Marginalized People Including Migrant Workers” 

 If you are not eligible to enjoy the benefits of medical services under the current medical social security systems (e.g. health insurance or medical care allowances), the Ministry of Health and Welfare may provide you with financial support for hospitalization and surgery whenever your circumstance requires such treatments. 

8. Elementary and Secondary Education 

 If you and/or your children are less than 19 years old, you and/or your children can receive the same level of primary and secondary educations as Korean citizens; Depending on your age, learning ability or educational circumstances, you may be able to receive financial support for admission/tuition fees in accordance with the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

9. Social Integration Program including Korean language classes 

 If you complete the social integration program step by step according to your proficiency in Korean, you may enjoy a few benefits including an interview exemption when acquiring Korean nationality.

 ※ Please find more information at the Immigration and Social Integration website (www.socinet.go.kr), or call the Korea Immigration Integration Program Centers (KIIP Centers). 

10. Vocational Training Pursuant to the Act on the Development of Workplace Skills of Workers

 ※ Please find more information at the Human Resources Development Service of the website (www.hrdkorea.or.kr).

11. Recognition of Academic Credentials and Qualifications Obtained Abroad 

※ An official confirmation from the Korean Consulate (or the Consulate General) in your country of nationality, or via Apostille, etc., is required for the recognition of your academic credentials or qualifications acquired abroad.

Rights and Treatment of Recognized Refugees

댓글 남기기

Scroll to top