Who can apply?
- An alien staying in the Republic of Korea (ROK).
When to apply?
- You must apply for refugee status while you are staying in Korea.
Where to apply?
- You can apply at an immigration office, immigration branch office, or an immigration detention center in Korea.
- The Office Chief or other immigration officer, who receives your refugee status application, will issue an application receipt.
How to apply?
- If you wish to apply for refugee status, you need to submit a written application for refugee recognition to the immigration office or the branch office with jurisdiction over your place of stay.
- If you are a minor under the Civil Act of the ROK, or you are unable to apply yourself due to sickness or other unavoidable circumstances, your parent, spouse, child, relative, or lawyer may apply for refugee status on your behalf.
What to prepare?
If you wish to apply for refugee status, you need to submit all the following documents:
- An Application for Refugee Status Recognition
* If you cant fill out your application form due to illiteracy or disabilities, the immigration officer, who receives your application, may help you fill out the form. Both you and the official must sign or name and seal on the document.
※ The Application for Refugee Status Recognition form is available at receptions of immigration offices and the Hi-Korea website (Click "Forme" at the upper right corner of the screen.
- One copy of a supplementary document proving that you are a refugee (including your written statement).
- Your identification photo (must satisfy the conditions below).
- One Copy of Your Health Examination Report
※ You must submit a health examination report which includes the test results of tuberculosis, syphilis, and acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). The Minister of Justice may provide support for the relevant medical cost.
- A registered foreigner: Passport and the Alien Registration Card. If any of them is not available, a written statement explaining the reason for unavailability.
- A person of conditional admission or temporary refugee landing: each permission documents.
Note: Submission of translated documents
If the documents (including your statement) are written in a language other than Korean or English, you need to enclose the translated version of the documents to the original texts.